Mom and I were at the door before 10 am when they would allow people inside the building. So we waited outside on a bench in the cool spring air. At 10 am we were allowed inside. We paid, were stamped, and began our adventure in the maze of quilts. Most of the quilts were more traditional in their design. I really like vintage quilts made with reproduction fabrics, but I also like the basic, traditional patterns, as well as newer patterns. For example, I will make a Single Girl quilt – the answer to the traditional Double Wedding Band. Not everyone is married, or going to be, so why discriminate in the quilt pattern world? I took a lot of pics so I’m only going to upload a small selection of my favorites or quilts that just had something unique about them that caught my eye.
We almost missed the second building with displayed quilts. Ironically, I knew there were two buildings being used for the show, but it didn’t occur to me to leave Building 1 and follow the tunnel to Building 2 when I first walked by the open door as Mom and I were exploring the quilt maze and vendor booths. The second building is where they have the demonstrations and have some of the bigger quilts. There was also an area set up where anyone could stop by and choose fabrics to be used in 4 or 9 patches for quilts there were making for a children’s program. There were hundreds or thousands of ready-cut squares, and the lady at the area gave you a piece of cardboard with batting stapled to it. Then you select from whichever size you want, to create a block. I chose a 4 patch block, because at the time, I thought I’d actually get to sew it. Not so, but it was still fun.
As we were leaving the show, we were both given a rolled paper that contained an orphan block. Mom gave hers to me since she figured I’m more likely to use it. I think it’s fun to make a growing collection of orphan blocks to eventually make a project out of.
The sky turned dark when we left the show. The wind had been blowing all day, but by the time we were walking to my car the temp had dropped and a storm was blowing over our heads. After two nearly perfect spring-like days it sure felt cold! I don’t mind the cooler weather, but I did enjoy the two days when it was pushing 70 degrees and sunny with a mild cool breeze. Everyone else seemed to complain about the wind, but I found it refreshing. Mom and I stopped at a nursery on the way back to town, and then went to 5 Guys Burgers for lunch. It was a fun Girls Day Out and I hope we get to have another fun day together soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment