On Sunday I went to JoAnn Fabrics for a few items that were on sale, and then I started working on my projects. I assembled the 5 Maple Leaf blocks and then laid them out to see how the colors look together. I have fabrics I haven't even cut yet to make more blocks. The Maple Leaf quilt will be at least a full-size quilt, and I'm not set on the pattern that I took a pic of for this blog. That won't be determined until I make more and more blocks and just see how it looks! I'm also thinking of using sashing, or a border or two... it's not the best laid plan but at least I'm making blocks in the correct size!
I got a wild hair and decided to make one sample block of each of the 4 blocks for the Jeff Quilt. First I sat down and pondered how to use the colors I have, and figured out that I don't have enough of most fabrics. Doh.
That happens when you just start shopping like a crazy person because fabric is on sale and you didn't take the time to figure out how much you need!
 |
| Mad scientist calculations to make a Jeff Quilt. |
I have enough of each fabric to make a sample block (and more), so that's what I decided to do. I ironed out the wrinkles, measured and cut, pinned and sewed, and pressed the seams. It was fast, easy, and a rousing success after the Saturday night debacle.
I stayed up too late, scared my dog and cat by wearing shorts and a tank top to cool off - the lights, computer, and iron in the room sure warm the place up - and was very happy with the results of my efforts. I think of this quilt as
happy colors, and it's a
cheerful quilt, which is something I joked that I wouldn't do.
I said I would "quilt for the Dark side," thus avoiding the use of shiny happy colors. Now I'm in love with color and want to just make more quilts! Right now, I like to assemble the quilt tops. I'm not sure when I'll be more interested in the finishing aspect of quilting. Maybe when I learn how to handquilt with more accuracy and speed! I am going to make mini quilts with leftover batting and scrap fabric to practice. I need to learn the running stitch to make my life easier.
But tonight I have two free Redbox movies and I'm going to eat ice cream and watch them. If I have time after the movies I shall work on handquilting or maybe cut more fabric for blocks. I did have enough of the dog print for the required number of rectangles. If I don't have enough red, I may have something else I can use from my stash. That's why crazy quilters have fabric stashes!!
No comments:
Post a Comment