Winter is a slow time at work so the ladies bring in catalogs and magazines to read and share. My favorite are the quilting magazines. I was looking at
QUILT Magazine and found a man-quilt called Call of the Wild, by Janet Page Kessler, a designer for Benartex fabrics. The quilt uses the
Log Cabin pattern and
fussy-cut squares from a panel to create a framed look to the images. I didn't use the same fabrics, just the pattern. The main characters in my quilt are bears. I used fabrics that look like different natural textures - grass, bark - and dark colors that just remind me of my brother. At first I planned to do a fishing quilt but ended up liking the bear fabric. I did, however, find two different fish fabrics that I liked. Only one made it into this quilt.
 |
| This was the first time I did fussy-cutting and I am pleased with the result. There were no major errors in measuring and cutting the fabrics, and the quilt went together relatively quickly. |
 |
| The frame is around each fussy-cut bear. |
 |
| The biggest dilemma thus far with this quilt was when I thought the Log Cabin measurements were off and the pattern from the magazine was wrong! I was confused and couldn't believe that a magazine would publish faulty instructions. After much time spent on figuring out the "correct" measurements and constructing one "correct" size block, it occurred to me that the "extra" fabric with each measurement was for the seam allowance! Doh! So I have one mini-me block, pictured above, beside the correct size. |
 |
| Last minute change of heart made me impule buy this fabric for the borders. Again, more of the fishing theme. |
 |
| This fabric is for the sashing and is probably my favorite fabric in this quilt! I wouldn't have thought it would appeal to me as much as it does, but once I held it up to the other colors it was just so striking. |
 |
| The quilt top with the side borders on. This weekend I want to add the top and bottom borders and then sandwich the materials so I can begin my first attempt at handquilting. I'm excited but nervous about this because I want it to look nice and to be finished in time to mail to my brother for his birthday! |
No comments:
Post a Comment