26 March 2011

Project 3 - Quilt for Mother's Day

I have been disappointed with this quilt since the day I cut the fabric to the wrong size and had to figure out a different pattern to use the fabric I'd "ruined." But, I am trying to make it work. This was the first quilt that I planned from scratch. I went to the fabric store to pick out fabric with purple and pink and white to create a quilt that Mom would love. I was also going to surprise her with the quilt on Mother's Day 2011 - which is still possible if I get motivated. I have seriously issues with procrastination when I'm disappointed in a project. After letting the cut fabric sit for a few weeks I finally went back and started chain-stitching the pieces together to at least have assembled squares to work with so I could experiment and see what I could do with them.


I have two size squares, and somehow I need to use as many of them as possible in this weird quilt I have created. Jamie gave me a table cloth to use as a design wall - the back is fuzzy and the fabric sticks to it - so I took the squares and laid out a pattern on the floor.


I tried to be a little creative with what I consider a screw-up-quilt. You can see the row of light color diamonds at one end, and at the opposite end is a row of pink diamonds. Opposite from each other on another row are two other patterns - one with dark purple as the stand out color and the other is a cat print. I think the center of the quilt looks like something from the Atari game Space Invaders and it is a total coincidence!

I sewed the rows together but stopped before I assembled the main quilt top. I'm going to add a border or two, and probably a pink-and-white striped binding. I also purchased the backing for the quilt at a great sale at JoAnn.


At present this quilt is on the backburner again because I started a fourth project that also have a May deadline - the Man Quilt I'm making for my brother for his birthday.


No comments: