25 March 2011

The Newbie

I attended a Desert Sage Quilters of the Magic Valley guild meeting last night and was inspired by the guest speaker, KZ, a young woman who teaches quilting classes for the local community college as well as at the Magic Valley Modern Quilt Guild meetings at the Quilt Barn in Kimberly, Idaho. I was one of the younger attendees at the meeting and I really enjoyed the presentation by KZ and her fellow guild members. She talked about Modern Quilting, about how making things "wonky" is okay - the old biddies laughed when she said she made a quilt block without measuring the pieces - and that perfection of measurement is no longer required with modern methods and techniques. I could relate to her as she talked about how she does research about quilting online, finding blogs to read where others post free patterns and photos of their projects to inspire others. I've been doing the same kind of research almost nightly. I've also been downloading photos of quilts I would like to make as well as blocks I want to create. All the talk of blogging and downloading PDF files just inspired me to come home, tired as I was at 9 p.m., to create this blog.

I am a newbie to quilting, to attending quilters' guild meetings, and to blogging with a purpose. Mainly, I want to record my progress as I learn new methods and techniques, create new projects, and experiment in general with all things quilting. Ultimately, I would like to enter my quilts in shows and possibly set up an online shop to sell them.

No comments: