26 August 2011

A New Daughter

I went to The Gathering Place in Rupert, ID to check out the holiday fabric selections and then to take photos of the interesting old buildings downtown.





I was considering getting into my car to drive to a new location across the town square to take pics when I noticed a young man and woman walking down the street towards me with a tiny kitten following them. Intrigued, I asked if the kitten was theirs. I assumed they were intentionally walking the kitten and it was trained to do that. Not so. The woman told me they  decided they didn't want the kitten because she scratches people (duh, she's a kitten!) and they were thinking about the safety of the baby they are expecting. So they had opened the door and tossed the kitten out into the world, expecting her to just go away. Instead, she followed them.

I walked away with a guilty conscience that I needed to rescue the kitten from these people who obviously didn't care if she was eaten by a dog or hit by a car. I didn't want another pet because it's going to be difficult to find a place to rent when I move back to Oregon (sometime... I cannot live in Idaho forever because I hate this state), but I eventually convinced myself that I could rescue the kitten and find a good home for it. I know a few people who are crazy animal lovers, who know other crazy animal lovers, and I was certain that someone would adopt this beautiful kitten. So I did get in my car, and drove down the street in the direction the couple was walking. I parked and ran across the street towards them. The noise of my flip-flops scared the kitten, but she came right back and went to her people. I asked if they minded if I took the kitten because they didn't want her. They didn't mind. They added that they called her "Spice" because she's an orange tabby and they already have a white cat named "Sugar." The plan was to have this kitten outside with the other cat.

I almost changed my mind and left the kitten with them, but then just had visions of them tossing her into a canal, or off a bridge, or managing to ditch her and she would be road kill. So I took the tiny kitten home. I tried to write Craigslist ads to see if someone would adopt her, but I had Internet problems and couldn't post the ad. I asked my animal lovin' coworkers, and one considered adopting the kitten, and the other asked a friend - who said no thanks because she already has three cats. Then all three of the cats at my house got colds, and went to the vet for vaccinations, and then I started cuddling and snuggling with the kitten, and saw how much she loves the two adult cats I have - and the feeling is mutual.

So, her name is Tabitha Tangerine... Tabitha because she is an orange tabby with spots like a Cheetah, and tangerine because it's orange and I happen to be using Strawberry-Tangerine Twist shave gel :) She is approximately 13 weeks old and it seems like she was meant to join my little furry family. She also enjoys watching me work on quilt projects.



Tabitha with Tiger.

Tabitha with William
And speaking of quilt projects - I have two vacations days wrapped around this weekend so I intend to work on one or more quilt projects. Tomorrow I'm going on a road trip with Mom to Idaho Falls but other than that I have no plans for my mini-vacation. I do so enjoy having paid days off when I can do nothing or anything. Perhaps I will post sample pics of the Outdoor Adventures I've had since April this year. It's a lot more than it seems when I list the places, and look at the photos!!

No comments: